Sonntag, 6. Juli 2014

How do you keep track of your mail?

Are you a snailmailer? Do you keep track of your mail? And if you do so, how do you do it?

When I started snailmailing again a few years back, I quickly realized I needed a way to keep track of my mailings. So I did the most basic thing - I grabbed a little notebook and jotted down the letters, postcards and packages I sent and received. I also wrote down how much money I spent on postage, as I was interested to know how much I'd be spending (now I believe it's better not to know... I want to enjoy this hobby without realizing what I'm spending :) )

However, I was not very consistent with keeping the journal up to date and often grouped dates together. When I sent a letter, I ticked the name of the receiver in the "IN"-section - but I often forgot that as well.


Later on I started stamping the dates of receiving and sending on the envelopes.
I didn't really like that however and didn't do it very often - while I then did know whether or not I replied to the letter I had in my hands, I like the letters the way I receive them and rather want to keep them the way my pals intended them to be, and not leave any marks on them myself.

Last month, I switched to a list, one for the incoming mail and one for the outgoing mail. You can put in the date, the sender / recipient, the contents of the mail and when you sent / received a reply. I do like this "mail register" (you can find the printable here), but we'll see how long I'll stick with it.


I'm also only keeping track of the personal mail in this list - no swaps or tags to be seen here :)

So tell me - how do you keep track of your incoming / outgoing mail?

Alles Liebe!
Caddi

9 Kommentare:

  1. Yo hace un año que te escribí una carta y no me contestaste =(

    Yo tengo una libreta donde me apunto las cartas que mando y recibo.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Yo te escribí una carta en 2012, pero parece que nunca la recibiste :( Hasta que te devolví el sello como lo querias. El servicio postal es una pena a veces.

      El sistema de la libreta también me gustó cuando funcionó :)

      Löschen
  2. I keep a simple, unsophisticated system. Okay, the word system doesn't apply to my method. If it's on top of my desk it isn't replied to. If it's in my drawer it is.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I love that system! Unfortunately, I don't think that would work for me - there are so many things on my desk, I think I'd lose a few letters from time to time - well, not exactly "lose" them, but having them turn up a few weeks later while organizing my clutter and realizing - oh darn, I think I still haven't answered this one! I have the same rule about the letters in my drawer though - no unanswered letters allowed there :)

      Löschen
  3. I use an spreadsheet. I have a list for sent mail and another for received mail. I started the system this year, and it's working very well. It's difficult to explain in few lines...

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Oh, so a spreadsheet like excel? I used a list like that when I started postcrossing and I think I even wrote down the addresses each time and the reactions from the thank you note. Maybe you could do a post on your spreadsheet? I'd love to see it!

      Löschen
  4. I LOVE writing pen pals. I never thought to make a list or sheet. Clever idea. I Keep a large clear envelope that zippers on my desk and slide the unanswered letters in it. When I have time to write, I sit down and as I finish them, I noted on the envelope the date I answer it. I keep the answered letters in a lovely large Paris box. When the clean envelope is empty, I am up to date.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I actually have something similar - last year I sewed a small mail pouch where I put my unanswered letters and which I always take with me when taking the train - my usual letter-writing-time. If I remember, I also have a few stickers and stationery in there - otherwise my letters tend to look rather boring. However, only the regular sized envelopes fit in there - it's not big enough for the long envelopes or for A5 envelopes, so I answer those letters at home because I don't like to put the letters in my bag without "protecting" them.
      I like the list because I then know when I received a letter - I try to keep the reply and waiting time for my penpals low (or at least, close to how much time they usually take to reply) and it's really helpful to see when I got that letter and how long it travelled. With the lists I'm currently using, I love that I'm able to see how quick the conversations and letters actually are.
      Anyway, enough rambling here :)

      Löschen
  5. Like you, I use a paper file, mine is in the "budget" section of my agenda and I use one "month" for each penpal.
    It is rather superfluous because I have only four pen pals but I like keeping track od the dates.

    AntwortenLöschen

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!